jueves, enero 13, 2005

Speaking of stars.

One of the greatest gifts I've ever received was Xavier and Rocío's instruction in astronomy. Now I don't look that much towards the sky. Maybe because this City of Chaos won`t let their light to pass. Too much polution. Too much light. Too much noise (yes, it's important to hear the silence of the stars). Maybe because I feel a bit sad every time I realize that only a handful of stars are strong enough to make it all the way down to our eyes in México City.
As a little part of my "past sick", I remember my first time at the National Astronomy Observatory at San Pedro Mártir Sierra, Baja California. It was a cold night and when I arrived, I was a bit disappointed about the sky, which look a bit cloudy from inside the car. Then, one of the biggest surprises of my life came: The "clouds" I saw were actually the Milky Way, shining increidible as a vertebral spine trough the night sky.
I don`t know how to describe it, so I'll quote Coleridge to help me out:

Have I been gazing on the western sky,
And it's peculiar tint of yellow green:
And still I gaze---and with how blank an eye!
And those thin clouds above, in flakes and bars,
That give away their motion to the stars;
Those stars, that glide behind them or between,
Now sparkling, now bedimmed, but always seen:
Yon crescent Moon, as fixed as if it grew
In it's own cloudless, starless lake of blue;
I see them all so excellently fair,
I see, not feel, how beautiful they are!


from: "Dejection: An Ode", S.T. Coleridge.